How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Salem Oregon. My boyfriend and I recently broke up

This answer was rated:

I live in Salem Oregon. My boyfriend and I recently broke up after 2 1/2 years. He has 2 dogs, one of which just had 11 puppies. And I have one dog. I offerred to watch his dogs as well as the 11 puppies while he went to work at his parents. Mama dog ended up going to the emergency vet 2 times and our vet 2 times (once for surgery due to a severe case of mastitis). I saw the momma a week prior and told him to take her to the vet because of her swollen mammary glands, which he did not do. So 1500.00 later to pay for her vet care and to buy puppy food and supplies he has not paid me. (He isn't working now, but I am worried when he starts working he never will pay me) He also offerred me a puppy in trade for the week I watched all of them. As of today the puppies are 2 days shy of 8 weeks and he is still playing games. He only made a verbal agreement regarding paying me back (but I have all the bills) and giving me a puppy. He has been terrible about returning my things to me in general.
Thank you for your post. However I am not sure I see a legal question--how can I assist you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I take him to small claims cour? I don't have a ton of money to spend on an attorney but he owes me money for the vet bills and I didn't get a thing from him. Is there something I can do without having to spend a ton of money?
Thank you for your patience.

These were jointly owned pets, correct? Do you have anything in writing where he agreed to pay for the costs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No they are not jointly owned. I made a verbal agreement which I stated in my initial question?

Thank you for your patience.

A verbal agreement, by itself, is binding. The problem with it is it is hard to enforce simply because there is no evidence or proof that you acted upon reliance on the part of your ex to reimburse you. The fact that these dogs are not yours does play in your favor, and makes it much more likely that you will prevail--but you would still have to show that you paid for the care purely under the agreement with the ex (see if you can find any sort of extrinsic evidence that agrees with your assertion--things like IMs, texts, or emails are invaluable).

Luckily you can pursue him via Small Claims in your state. Oregon limits are at $7,500, which permits you to easily pursue him for the full amount plus court costs. In addition you do not have to retain counsel but can pursue this on your own. Here is a link as to how to get started--and I do feel that you have a fairly good case here:

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/1/2010 at 5:35 AM EST
Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you