How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I began to move out my resident without giving notice to my

Customer Question

I began to move out my resident without giving notice to my landlord. After I began to move out I was told that I broke my lease by removing my personal belochangengings. (my landlord hold told me previously that after my year rental my lease need to be sgn new lease or I would be on a month to month lease). so I began to moveout and in between trips to move my belongings my landlord changed the locks and roped off the entrance to the driveway and marked no transpassing signs and kept my belongs in the residents and began removing my belongs and giving it away with any type of judgements
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steinlaw :

I am sorry you are going through this. The landlord is not following the proper procedure. You have a case against him for conversion (taking your personal property so you cannot have it), trespass to chattels (limiting your ability to use your personal property), and wrongful eviction. You may also have a case for breach of contract. I would start by contacting a lawyer near you to send a demand letter to the landlord. If that does not work, you will need to file a lawsuit.

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I file charges on landlord for thief charges and on his son for receiving stolen goods. My neighbor witnessed his son driving off with all my lawn equipment?
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
You can try, but my guess is that the Sheriff will not take such a report. This is generally seen as a civil matter and needs to be resolved in civil court. But you do have a strong case in civil court!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How file these charges without hiring an attorney? I am currently unemployed!

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
It will be difficult. You can go to the local law library and get the forms for a civil lawsuit. Then you can fill them out. You can also look at either LegalZoom or Nolo for assistance.