Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I fell coming out of a store 2 month ago and fractured my left

I fell coming out of a store 2 month ago and fractured my left foot. The doctor said I had broken my toe and that I missed surgery and screws by a hair. I was in much pain and was told to stay off the foot for 6-8 weeks. I went on disability, but the company that my employer uses to match my salary to 100% which is Cigna, denied me my claim when my Dr. extended my time off for two more weeks due to pain and suffering.
What can I do about Cigna denying my claim? and can they get away with it? I've worked for 36 years and this is the first time I have needed to use disability.

JB
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You first need to read your policy to make sure you did not reach any maximum amount of compensation set by the policy for the injury. Then, assuming you did not reach any maximum amounts, you would have to appeal the denial and you would need to use your medical documentation regarding your inability to work and these cases hinge on the strength of the medical evidence. Thus, this is all going to be on the strength of the report your doctor writes and when submitting the new report with your appeal letter you explain that your doctor has stated your injury required the additional 2 weeks and their denial based on the medical evidence is in bad faith and that if they refuse to approve the additional time you will consider further legal action. If they refuse, then I am afraid you are going to have to file suit against them for breach of contract.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.