How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13880
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i went to a drug rehab for 6 months, but am now out and

Customer Question

If i went to a drug rehab for 6 months, but am now out and ready to begin my life as a public ed teacher, how do I keep the information of my rehab off my record?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.

So I can better assist you, can you tell me if you enter into the rehab voluntarily, or was this court-ordered?

If court-ordered was this part of a court case? Were you convicted of anything?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was not court ordered. My family sent me. Not convicted of anything. Family was concerned about my drinking. I have my degree in education and was about to begin my first teaching job...when they did an intervention....terrible that I am back from rehab and ok, not able to even get an do i find out if this is because rehab is on my background check? Is there a way to see what they (school districts) are seeing in my background check? And if this is the problem, then is there a legal way to get the information of rehab off my record?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. If this wasn't a result of an arrest/conviction, this isn't going to be on your criminal record. A background check will show arrests and convictions; more detailed background checks can also show a credit history, whether a person has civil judgments against them, etc. Furthermore, drug and alcohol abuse treatment records are protected under federal law.

Most employers won't even do a background check unless they are seriously considering a person for a job, since the cost involved in a doing a background check can be prohibitive, especially if there are multiple candidates (a background check can run between $25-$100, average), and they are time consuming. If you aren't even getting called for an interview, it's not likely because of a background check.

If you want to do a background check on yourself, you can Google search "background check", but as I said, expect to pay for one. All of the so called "free" ones advertised online really aren't.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further.Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is it true that if while I was in rehab, that I received meds that are "controlled substances" by prescription that is reported on my background? While I wait for your reply on this I am going to do a google background check.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.
No, that would not appear on your background check.

If you haven't found a background check service, Integrascan seems decent -and a complete record search is $50.