Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

is posting on a blog website, the HIV status of someone that

Customer Question
has pasted aways, legal?...
is posting on a blog website, the HIV status of someone that has pasted aways, legal?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2010
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good evening. Unless you were one of the health care providers subject to HIPPA, in which case disclosing it would be a violation of HIPPA, there would be nothing illegal about disclosing the HIV status as long as it's true. In order for you to be subject to any defamation claims, the statement would have to be false.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Can you post information about his death without the approval of his family?

Yes, you do not need permission from his family..unless you have some fiduciary duty to the family by being a health care provider, attorney, etc.

Richard, Attorney