Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My boyfriend and I are interested in purchasing a single family

My boyfriend and I are interested in purchasing a single family REO home in the city of Los Angeles that is currently being occupied by tenants. From everything I've read I know that you have to give them 90 day notice once escrow closes. My question is do we also have to pay them relocation fees since we intend to occupy the home.

I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. However I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you, or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as Justanswer.com's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Thank you.

Where is the property located?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In the city of Los Angeles . 2319 Carlye PL Los Angeles CA 90065.
I see.

Typically, if it is a rent-controlled unit, you would be responsible for relocation costs to the tenants. Some owners/banks are offering tenants additional relocation costs to move out prior to the 90 day period, or free rent for the 90 day period to defray or eliminate the need to pay relocation costs.

Here is more information:

http://www.yourlegalcorner.com/articles.asp?cat=land&id=114

Please let me know if you need clarification of my answer.

Best regards,

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is a single family home considered a "unit"? This is the information I found on the City Of Los Angeles website : http://lahd.lacity.org/lahdinternet/RSO/tabid/263/Default.aspx

No. A single family home would typically be exempt from the relocation expense requirements. My apologies.

Take care.

Edited by Tina on 10/1/2010 at 12:42 PM EST