How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I are interested in purchasing a single family

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend and I are interested in purchasing a single family REO home in the city of Los Angeles that is currently being occupied by tenants. From everything I've read I know that you have to give them 90 day notice once escrow closes. My question is do we also have to pay them relocation fees since we intend to occupy the home.

I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. However I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you, or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.

Where is the property located?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In the city of Los Angeles . 2319 Carlye PL Los Angeles CA 90065.
I see.

Typically, if it is a rent-controlled unit, you would be responsible for relocation costs to the tenants. Some owners/banks are offering tenants additional relocation costs to move out prior to the 90 day period, or free rent for the 90 day period to defray or eliminate the need to pay relocation costs.

Here is more information:

Please let me know if you need clarification of my answer.

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is a single family home considered a "unit"? This is the information I found on the City Of Los Angeles website :

No. A single family home would typically be exempt from the relocation expense requirements. My apologies.

Take care.

Edited by Tina on 10/1/2010 at 12:42 PM EST
Tina and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you