Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a CA RN have a medical marijuana card, smoke it and keep

license?...
Can a CA RN have a medical marijuana card, smoke it and keep license?
9/25/2010
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Chat Conversation Started
John Wills :

Thank your for asking Just Answer, give me a moment to review your question.

John Wills :

In California, the government 's position is that both medical marijuana and hemp product ingestion are not reasonable medical explanations for a positive laboratory drug test result.

JACUSTOMER-cjr79xjg- :

What does that mean?

John Wills :

I would take that to mean that a positive drug test will effect your license just like if you took an illegal drug.

JACUSTOMER-cjr79xjg- :

You would take that to mean?

John Wills :

The primary case on whether an employer can prevent you from using marijuana if you have a medical marijuana card is from California. It went all the way to the Supreme Court and the court said that an employer could prevent the use of marijuana even if the employee has a medical card.

John Wills :

Here is the case: Alberto R. Gonzales, Attorney General, et al. v. Angel McClary Raich, et al., No. 03-1454 (decided June 6, 2005, 125 S.Ct. 2195), in most states with medical marijuana laws, an employer may safely refuse to accept medical marijuana as a reasonable medical explanation for a positive drug test result.

JACUSTOMER-cjr79xjg- :

Okay, great, now I'm getting what you're saying. Thanks for the answer and I do accept and will pay.

John Wills :

Your welcome. Good luck! Hope your not having too much pain.

JACUSTOMER-cjr79xjg- :

Well, I never said it was me, it was a Q

John Wills :

Thanks for accepting!

JACUSTOMER-cjr79xjg- :

You're welcome.

John Wills :

OH, sorry for assuming. Just wish the best for the person you are asking for.

JACUSTOMER-cjr79xjg- :

Thanks for that!

John Wills :

Your welcome. An Accept would be greatly appreciated. Bonuses are also appreciated!

John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
John Legal
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney