Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My mother has a life estate to her home and property and upon

My mother has a life estate to her home and property and upon her death, I have been deeded it all. I am moving onto the property soon in a separate small apartment home and would like to bring my dog with me (naturally)...However, my mother is saying no, because the dog is a pittbull breed. My question is: Does she have the legal right to refuse the dog on her premises (even though we were going to build a privacy fence to fence in the dog) or do I have the legal right?

Hi - I practice in Mississippi.

The life estate allows her to live on the property until her death, and anything that interferes with that right can be stopped by her - in this case, that means that she can tell you not to bring the dog if she doesn't want it there. Even though you own the property, your right to occupy the property doesn't start until she passes away.