How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, this is regarding my elder sister. We are originally

Customer Question

Hi there,
this is regarding my elder sister. We are originally from bangladesh but now citizens of usa. My sister is a bipolar patient and on medication. My mom got her married to one of her employee. She offered him a permanent job, apartment, car etc and he accepted..At first we thought he is a very simple guy and will love my sister. Well, he was nice first 2 yrs. But he totally changed after he got his green card thru my sister. He even tortured her mentally and physically and we have witness. Now he is in NYC but left my sis and their 2 yr old daughter in Bangladesh. My question- (our first option) can we cancel his green card and if so what are the processing and how long it might take? (our second option) we are ready to forgive him if he promises to take good care of his wife and bring her over here to stay with him. But we want written paper that he will never torture her physically or mentally and I will have the right to visit my sister once a week near their house and we also want their complete address and phone number. I hope you understand our concerns. My sister is a very nice girl and is normal under medication but she loses it when she is hurt. Please advice me what kind of lawyer we should seek for both of these options. thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 7 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Unfortunately your mother entered your sister into a bad marriage. You cannot force this guy to sign anything he doesn't want to doesn't work that way. Also, you cannot revoke his green card, you all could end up accessed of marriage fraud as they can allege he was paid to marry your sister. If your sister was here in the U.S. you would need to hire a family attorney and you or your mom could petition the court to be her guardian but she is not even in the country so you may have to contact an attorney in India to see what you could file in court there. Understand that in the U.S. the bond between husband and wife is sacred and courts are reluctant to interfere with that bond. You are in a very difficult situation and if you can get him to bring her back here and then petition the court and show them proof of the abuse, you will have a chance of getting him away from her. Getting him to bring her back is the hard part. I wish I could give you better news but it is a difficult and possibly un-winable situation when she is outside the U.S. I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my mom can bring my sister over here next month. and ofcourse we dont want to force him to sign any papers. He still says he loves her and will be nice to her, so we just dnt want him to torture her in any way and just want a promise. also we didnt pay him to marry our sister. it was more like an arranged marriage. Back home, the brides parents always end up giving dowry to the grooms whether directly or indirectly...And also the guys family is very ive the same questions again. i want to know if we can prove that he married my sister for hims green card, would it be possible to get him out of usa? also if he is telling the truth that he loves my sister than can he sign some legal papers since he's abused her b4.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 7 years ago.
Good your mom can bring her back, then she should. Oh I was not saying you paid her, I have many south asian clients and I am well aware of the culture and dowry's...I'm saying that is what Immigration may say. So yes, if you can PROVE he married her for a green card, you should report it to USCIS and they may revoke his green card. Yes, if he is willing to sign papers that he will not abuse her again that is his choice but if he is abusing her you should call the police on him. If he is convicted of a crime, especially domestic violence, then he can be deported and that would solve your problem of getting him out of the country as well. I hope this helps. Best regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome and best regards XXXXX XXXXX sister. i know how difficult it can be. Let me know how it turns out if you can. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sure :-)
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 7 years ago.