How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4498
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was killed in an automobile accident and the person

Customer Question

My brother was killed in an automobile accident and the person was charged with misdemenor death by vehicle. If he is on probation is this breaking the probation and i head he tested positive to drugs how does this change his charges
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 6 years ago.

If he tested positive for drugs, his probation officer can request an arrest warrant from the judge for violating his probation. Once he is arrested, a violation of probation hearing can be held. If the judge finds beyond a preponderance of the evidence that he violated his probation, he can receive a sentence that is up to the amount that was suspended in lieu of probation (ie if he received a 10 year suspended sentence, he can get up to 10 years, and so on).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

will he serve any time for the misdemenor death by vehicle and is it the law to attomatically test him for drugs and shouldn't the police officer be able to get those records

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 6 years ago.
If he violated probation, it is likely he will get at least some jail time, depending on how strict the judge is about his probations. Random urinalysis is usually a condition of probation. The police officer would not have access to probation records.