How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42873
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a used vehicle from a gentleman who claimed to

This answer was rated:

I purchased a used vehicle from a gentleman who claimed to be the owners in-law.

As it turns out, the seller forged the true owners name on the bill of sale. He also claimed that the vehicle had substantially fewer miles than it actually does, and assured me that the car was never in an accident. I have now learned that the odometer was apparently rolled back over 70,000 miles, and that the vehicle was involved in a theft and an accident in 2006.

The 'seller' refuses to take the car back, and it turns out that he didn't represent the owner at all - rather, the titled owner had sold the car to the person from whom I made the purchase. Rather than re-title the vehicle, pay the appropriate taxes, then re-sell the car, the guy just lied about everything and took me for a ride.

Do I have a case in small claims? I paid $3,500 for the car
Thanks for your small claims case here is against the person who sold this car to you.You can file small claims and argue material misrepresentation.You did not get what you paid for.You may want to report this to the police.The falsification of the odometer statement and title may be criminal here as well.Small claims would be your remedy here to seek judgment for damages including your filing fees.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The transaction was processed at the sellers place of employment, which is an automobile maintenance facility. I'm not sure who the owner is, and believe that it might even be the 'seller'. Should I also name the business in the claim since he acted as a 'dealer' and was representing the company during the entire transaction?
You can sue both persons here and argue joint liability.Certainly given the situation this is a good argument.
Ray and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you