Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My neighbor makes fires in his driveway every second day and

My neighbor makes fires in his driveway every second day and smoke comes to my home where I have pregnant wife and 2 year old baby. I spoke with him, but he told he can do whatever on his property and told me to go away. I called police already twice, last time they told me that it is "legal fire in a legal fireplace". Is there any law which my neighbor breaks letting all this smoke into my windows? Thank you.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
There may not be any "laws" he breaks but there is a civil law concept called "nuisance". What it means is that you have the right to enjoy your property but not if it interferes with someone else's use of their property. Under the facts you describe you may be able to get a local judge to grant an injunction against him burning things at a location on his property where the smoke will blow into your house. You stand a better chance of being successful if there is another place he can do it or if there is no reason to be burning.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.