How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55444
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I have a house that has been for sale for 4 years. I cant

Resolved Question:

Hi. I have a house that has been for sale for 4 years. I can't seem to sell it and I am about to lose my job at 60 years old. All that I have in savings is either in my company's 401k or in a retirement savings plan with a financial advisor (not a savings account#.

If I had to walk away from this house because I can't pay the mortgage anymore if I lose my job, can GMAC go after my retirement savings? The house is not under water. I owe 417k and it's appraised at $500k. I live in Connecticut.
Also, if I were to move to Florida and took money out of my retirement #knowing I'd pay taxes on it) and bought a small house in cash, would that house be at risk of being taken away because I walk away from the original house? Stressful times.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. You are in pretty good shape here. Your retirement savings (including your 401k and retirement savings plan) are exempt and beyond the reach of creditors. Also, your homestead that you would purchase in Florida would be beyond the reach of creditors. If you walked away, though, there would not be a deficiency because the amount owed is not likely to be in excess of the greater of the fair market value or the foreclosure sale price. Take care!



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How long would this stay on my credit? I have very good credit so it's such a shame to have to ruin it like this, but I can't see what else I can do. Is there any other option I can pursue...if I go to GMAC and talk to them, can I work a deal to remove myself from the house without having to "walk on it" or have it as a foreclosure? Are there any other options available to me? Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

It would be a 100-150 point hit on your credit and would stay on for 7 years, but the impact would start being reduced as each month went by with that your only blemish. Given the fact that you are pretty much judgment proof and the fact that the value is equal to or in excess of the amount owed, you would have a good shot of negotiating a deed in lieu of foreclosure with your lender where you simply deed them the property in exchange for being released from the debt.


Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you