WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I had a roommate when I first moved into my current home.

I had a roommate when I first moved into my current home. From August 2006-April 2007. The roommate allowed his girlfriend to pretty much live with us and neither payed any rent until he (and thus she) was evicted that April. I still live here. However she left a posession in my home when she moved out, and never said if she'd be back for it or not. It was a relatively unused snowboard that she bought new for around $300. A couple of years ago I put it in storage in my unfinished basement and am aware that it's been damaged. What are my legal responsibilities? She's just called me asking for its return. Do I have to give it back? Do I have to repay her?
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 7 years ago.

UNDER NC LAW THE TENANT HAS 10 DAYS AFTER EVICTION TO CLAIM PROPERTY, WHICH THEY DID NOT, AND THEY WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SUE YOU FOR ANY DAMAGE, IF THEY DUE, YOU COULD SUE THEM FOR STORAGE, WHICH WOULD BE OVER $300.. SEE G.S.42-25.9AND 42-36.2

§ 116B-53. Presumptions of abandonment.

(a) Property is unclaimed if the apparent owner has not communicated in writing or by other means reflected in a contemporaneous record prepared by or on behalf of the holder, with the holder concerning the property or the account in which the property is held, and has not otherwise indicated an interest in the property. A communication with an owner by a person (other than the holder or its representative) who has not, in writing, identified the property to the owner is not an indication of interest in the property by the owner.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So as far as it's concerned legally, I don't owe her anything?