Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

could you explain the purpose of a millers trust

Customer Question
?...
could you explain the purpose of a millers trust ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
9/1/2010
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 7 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney
A Miller Trust (more commonly known as a Qualified Income Trust) allows a person who makes too much money to qualify for Medicaid nursing home coverage to qualify. Under current law, the monthly dollar limit is $2,022. People who earn more can't qualify for Medicaid unless they have a Qualified Income Trust.

What you do is assign your income to the Qualified Income Trust, and the wording of the trust limits how much of the income can be distributed. This way, a person who makes more than the monthly limit will be treated as earning less than that amount, thereby satisfying the Medicaid income test. The trust can allow for certain payments, including insurance premium payments, other payments to support a spouse, and $60 each month for the beneficiary's personal needs.

Money remaining in the trust after those payments are made must be paid to the nursing home for the beneficiary's care, with Medicaid picking up the balance. With Qualified Income Trusts, people can get the government to cover the portion of the nursing home costs that they can't afford.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney