Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

We lost money with a realestate investment scam. The defendant

We lost money with a realestate investment scam. The defendant pleaded guilty in NY federal court. I have to file an affadavit of loss for the judge. Do I include only the amount I lost or additional sums do to loss of potential income that money may have made in other investments, physical and emotional stress after realizing I was scammed. Thanks for your advice_
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Good evening. In your affidavit of loss you only put in the actual amount you invested that was lost. You do not include consequential damages...i.e., money you might have otherwise made had you not invested with this guy...or physical/emotional stress damages.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.