Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

On July 12, 2010 my lawyer was unsuccessful in mediation to

Customer Question
save the house i currently...
On July 12, 2010 my lawyer was unsuccessful in mediation to save the house i currently live in so that it foreclosed or perhaps foreclosure process had started since that date. My question is how much time do I have before I have to vacate the premises ? Should I contact the bank directly or ask my lawyer again who does not seem to have a sloid answer for me. Is it possible that a Sheriff will knock on my door one day soon demanding my eviction ? Is there public assistance for people like me who do not make alot of money and have lost their home ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
9/1/2010
Lawyer: C.Fortunato, Attorney replied 7 years ago
C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato, Attorney

Hi JACustomer,

The next step is for the lender to get a court order allowing them to sell the house. This sale is done in an auction, and the house may and may not sell the first time around. You can stay in your house until the house is actually sold, and the new owner files an eviction proceeding in court (the new owner cannot evict you on his or her own). If the house is not sold at the first auction, the bank has to schedule another auction - usually 6 months later. This goes on until the house is sold. There are many who are still in their homes years after having stopped making the mortgage payments.

There is generally no public assistance available for persons who are employed.

C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato, Attorney