How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41555
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My situation is very old but the pain still is real.

Resolved Question:


My situation is very old but the pain still is real. I am having a difficult time dealing with it now for some reason and cannot bring closure to it in my mind. OK, here is the situation: I was severely beaten and left for dead as a teenager by a teacher in high school because the teacher had forgotten to pay a bill and blamed me for it. The first thing the teacher did was throw a 4 foot podium at me and hit me on the head with it. Then she picked me up off the floor, threw me up against the chalkboard and continually beat me with a spine eraser and left literally dozens of bruises and abrasions all over my body. Then she pushed me against the board with one hand and held me there while she continually slapped me across the face with the other hand. Then she kicked me in the chest and threw me to the ground and continued to beat me there until I completely stopped moving and she thought I was unconscious or dead. Then she ran out of the classroom. While this was going on, the other students were running around in the hallways yelling, "Murder, help murder," but none of the other teachers would help at all or even look to see what was going on.

This was a Catholic school and the lady who beat me to a pulp was a lay drama teacher. This occurred in the 1970's but still is bothering me to this day for some reason. That night I got a call from Sr. Ann Veronica who was the principal of the school. She told me that a student had said that he had gotten into a fight with me and beaten me up. This student was the worst student in the whole school and had all D's and F's in everything. She told me that i was to tell my father that I had been in a fight with this boy because after all I did want to graduate, didn't I? Then she asked me if we had an understanding or if I was going to have to repeat the last year of high school somewhere else. I told her that we had an understanding. She then told me not to show up to the school play that night that I had been directing for 6 weeks because I had too many bruises on my face and body and that it did not look good for the director to be a boy who gets into fights. She also told me that my name had been removed as director from the program since I had been "in a fight."

Counselor, is there anything that I can do about this at this point in my life? I mean it's pretty hard to get the witnesses together this many years later and some of the adults might even be dead by now; so I realize that any kind of financial settlement probably would be impossible. But I'll tell you what I would like from this. I would like an official apology from the school and from the Sisters of the Holy Cross, the order of nuns of which Sister Ann Veronica was a member. I need that to be able to come to closure on this matter. Can you please, please give me advice on how to go about attaining those apologies such that they don't just laugh me off, so that I can go on and lead the rest of my life? This thing is really holding me back. And yes I am going to counseling, but I still need these apologies to draw closure to this matter. Please tell me how to go about it. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.All you can do here is write the school and ask for such an apology.The time for even a threat of a lawsuit here has passed.I am glad that you are receiving counseling as this must have been very traumatic.See what response you get from the school and the administration.To me an apology even after all these years is appropriate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should explain that it is complicated for me personally to write to the school because the principal is a student with whom I went to school there. He was on the football team and was not a witness to the incident. Therefore from his point of reference the event did not occur even though it did. So it is going to be hard to prove to him that the incident actually occurrred at all because he was on a totally different wing of the building "working out" while I was being brutalized by this teacher. I don't think he will believe me. Is there a third party avenue that you might suggest for this letter and if so, what might that be?

Also, how would you recommend I go about attaining this apology from the Sisters of the Holy Cross? How does one attain an apology from a religious order? Would you have any expertise in this area?

Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
You could use local lawyer to write letter on your behalf here seeking apology.You are much more likely to get action from such a letter.

Lawyer Referral Services

1-866-442-2529 or 866-44-CA-LAW
(toll free in California)

(from outside California)

Lawyer Referral Services Program (LRS)
The State Bar of California
XXXXXbr /> San Francisco, CA 94105
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p> var lastDiv = ""; function showDiv(divName) { document.getElementById('default').className = "hiddenDiv"; // hide last div if (lastDiv) { document.getElementById(lastDiv).className = "hiddenDiv"; } //if value of the box is not nothing and an object with that name exists, then change the class if (divName && document.getElementById(divName)) { document.getElementById(divName).className = "visibleDiv"; document.getElementById('AllCounties').className = "visibleDiv"; lastDiv = divName; } }

.hiddenDiv { display: none; } .visibleDiv { display: block; } .BasicDiv { display: block; }

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What kind of lawyer do I tell them I am looking for?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
A general civil lawyer can deal with this problem and write your letter for you.I do wish you good luck with all of this and moving on.You have come a long way here ,,stay with the counseling.
Ray and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
A general civil lawyer can deal with this problem and write your letter for you.I do wish you good luck with all of this and moving on.You have come a long way here --stay with the counseling.