How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30379
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Due to my boyfriend having a car accident in the UK during

This answer was rated:

Due to my boyfriend having a car accident in the UK during a business trip, his ID etc was stolen. He has had a hard time to get a password XXXXX and more.

He has tried to get his $ and credit card from Bank of America. He even gave them $100 to expedite his credit card to be reissued to him asap. They haven't done a thing about this over a month. I think its because he didn't have an ID to show them but had his personal information. Bank of America is too a secure bank and that is one reason I had dropped them several years ago. I understand their security policy but when u can't get your own $ during a crisis, its pretty pathetic. I know this from my own experience with dealing with them. Sense, I don't use them anymore.

I suggested for him to give me temporary power of attorney to only be able to access $ with his written permission which would state the amount, purpose and what I would do with that money. If power of attorney is not the correct legal document, what is the correct one?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There are two ways that he can give you authority on his account: the first is to give you power of attorney. The second is to add you as a signer to the account. The problem is that, to do either of those things, he'll need to show ID. He could try calling Bank of America to see if they'll mail the documents to add an account signer over the phone, but he would still need an ID to turn them in.

If he gave them $100 to expedite his card, and they haven't done it, he should call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. He gave them $100, and didn't get anything in return, so they need to (a) send him the card, and (b) refund his money (or at least send him a new card via rushed delivery at no charge). Tell him to make sure they are replacing his credit card and his ATM card.

If he has checks, he could also, as a temporary measure, write checks to you and have you cash them and give him the cash. If he doesn't have checks, but he has Billpay, he could use Billpay to send you a money order at no cost (but it would take a few days). Or, he could send you money via Paypal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why does he have to show ID for Power of Attorney? I thought if he just signed a document giving me Power of Attorney that would be enough. Does a court hearing have to be conducted?

I think he is having problems with his bank bc he is the UK. BOA has high security. He even went to the bank in the UK location but he didn't have a passport nor ID at the time. Just answered security questions. We have dealt w them for months. I think they have tagged his acct of being careful to let anyone on his acct. The problem is he is doing all of this in the UK plus he is still ill due to the accident. That's why I want to do it myself here since I'm in the USA etc.

Remember he had a car accident and all his belongings were stolen except for what he is wearing on him.

All this checks is a great idea. But he can't access any accts with BOA, not just his credit card.

That is why I'm asking this question of Power of Attorney.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
BOA wont' send him his credit card because he is in the hospital in the UK. They wont' send it there bc anyone can get it there. It's not secure enough.<br /><br />Giving me access to his acct with BOA won't be an option bc of him being in the UK. They are very secure bank. This is a risk to them. If they won't give him access himself online in the UK they won't let him add me on his acct. He would have had to have done this before he had left there not after the affect.<br /><br />I had thought of this myself. What is someone supposed to do if one gets in the hospital like him? This is why I suggesting Power of Attorney. What are his options now since he didn't do this before he left for the UK? Can a Power of Attorney be done after the fact?<br /><br />I know I was in a similiar situation but due to hospitalization, my dad was unable to get me out bc I won't give the staff my parents name etc.  My dad ended up having to go to court and prove he was my father and get guardianship to get me out of there. He actually saved my life in the long run but short term it was a pain. I'm not longer in guardianship but it was a big hassle.<br /><br />I know I can't get guardianship. That is not an option. So, again Power of Attorney is what I see as an option. If there is another legal document than let me know.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that he was still in the hospital in the UK. I hope he wasn't seriously injured.

Bank of America won't accept a document giving someone power of attorney unless it is presented by the account signer, or it is notarized, which would require ID. Otherwise, I could sign a POA document on Donald Trump's account, hand it to them, and be really rich. I know that you're trying to help him, but BOA is going to need confirmation from him.

Now, you said that he was working with the UK location. He could try calling them to see what they can do.

Also, making you POA on his accounts with BofA will only let you access his accounts with BofA. I'm not sure how just accessing his accounts will help him, if you are in the U.S. If you are going to access his accounts, then take (or send) him the money, it would be much, much easier to just send him the money, then have him pay you back when he gets out of the hospital. If you want to be his power of attorney for all matters, then, again, he would need some proof of identity before setting that up.

You are correct that power of attorney would be the correct legal document. There isn't another document that I can suggest. It's just that, given the realities of your situation, I can't guarantee that you will be able to get a power of attorney soon enough for it to be useful.

I'm sorry that I don't have more helpful information for you. It is a very frustrating situation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was hurt but he's doing better. He is stuck there bc BOA won't release his funds or credit card. What is someone supposed to do in his position?

Can his passport not be used as his ID? He does have that with help from someone there that works with the UK Embassy. I saw a document that he would need to go the US Embassy get it notarized bc of the law of the USA.

He went to the UK location and he gave them $100 to get his credit card. After 2 months, he still hasn't received it. They are telling him is because he is an hospital and anyone can get the mail and use it. So, its not a secure place.

Well, I have to have POA to access his accounts. This is to give me access to the funds to send to him via Western Union. That is how he would get the $. BOA won't let him have access bc of his lack of ID and being in the UK etc. Its some type of security issue.

What do you mean getting power of attorney soon enough to be useful? I'm sorry but I don't think that way. He needs to get his $ to get out of the UK asap.

If I had the funds to send him, I would have done that by now. He has the funds but hasn't been able to get it bc of being in the UK and not having an ID. He just recently got the passport. Isn't that good enough for identification? Or do you have to get a state ID or Driver's Lincense too?

If that's the case, then his state will send him the ID but there is no guarantee he will get it bc he is in the hospital. These companies or agencies don't want to risk sending it there because someone else can get it.

This attitude of oh well or u can't do anything is how BOA is and he is stuck in the UK bc of this attitude. Obviously, when he gets back, he is leaving BOA and more. Due to this lack of helping him get his own $, his daughter who he took got killed there. So, there will be legal actions w my help when he arrives to the USA to everyone who denied him his rights to his funds.
I'm very sorry to hear about his daughter.

If he has a replacement passport with a photo, that should be sufficient ID. Here is an example of the type of language that you would be looking for. The form says it's $10, but just scroll below it, and you'll get an idea of what a durable power of attorney would look like.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes he did get a replacement passport due to a person who works at the UK Embassy was able to help him get it.

I understand about the document and what needs to be done. How much is notorization there though? I read he has to take it to the US Embassy bc any other places in the UK would be there nortization instead of the USA. Is this true?

I think his acct might have been tagged bc when he went there he didn't have an source of an ID. Just told them the security questions & such. I have suggested for him to go tomorrow to the UK location and show them his passport and find out what the problem is.

He needs $700 to pay for 1 month to safe his daughter's body so that its not cremated. He doesn't want that at all for her. He wants her to die in peace. I'm sure he will morn for her quit a while. He wants to be do this and come back to the states. He has the $ for the flight but has to have the other $ for the reservation of the body. Honestly, I don't trust these ppl he has had to put his trust in since they didn't safe his daughter. But at this point, he is at their mercy.
It's more complicated to get documents notarized using the UK system. However, under the Hague Convention, a UK-notarized documents should be accepted in the U.S.

Notarization through the US Embassy is $50. Because appointments are extremely limited, he should book it in advance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has to leave there asap bc his medical bills are racking up and the cost of preserving lucy. He has to leave her there. come to the state, get his $, go back and pick her body to be buried in the USA.

I hope this man who works for the UK Embassy can get the US Embassy to do this asap then. If not, how long is this process. Looking at the link you sent me, it looks like its a couple of week process.

I can't think of any other way. $700 may not sound a lot to you. But it is to me bc its almost half of my current income per month. that's why I can't send him my $.

I'm hoping that the bank will accept his passport so he can have access to his $ in his bank account. I found out why all this time, he didn't just give me his user name and password XXXXX his online banking. He never established online banking. So, now that hes in the UK and having probs accessing his acct, there is no way to get online banking now.

I did get upset w him for not protecting himself bf leaving. This man is a business man so it suprises me.
Unfortunately, I don't know how long the process will take, because it depends on when the first available appointment is. He should call the embassy as soon as possible.

I understand that $700 is a lot of money. I really hope that the two of you are able to work things out so he can get the money, get his daughter, and make it home as soon as possible.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, I'm trying to figure out his other options. In the USA, if he needed emergency funds, he could go to a fast cash store. What are his options there since he is a USA citizen?
If he is an American Express cardholder, he can contact the local AmEx office in the UK to see if there's anything they can do. Otherwise, the U.S. Embassy recommends using Western Union. The problem there is, as you've mentioned, you would need cash or a credit card to use to send him the money.

Even if he were in the U.S., he would need checks to get fast cash from a check-cashing facility. So, if he doesn't have any checks with him, or credit cards, that wouldn't be an option.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I accidently said fast cash when I meant Fast Loans. Is there anything like that in the UK for USA citizen with only a passport for identification?
I'm sorry, but I am not an expert in United Kingdom law, banking or loan practices. Because that is beyond the scope of the original thread, I have to ask you to open a new question.

Again, I wish you luck in finding a solution to this awful situation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a food bank in London, UK, where he can get free food that doesn't need to be microwaved nor refrigerated or is there a place he can get hot food for free everyday till he can get back to the USA? Mind you he is a USA citizen not UK.

Here is a list of food banks in the UK. They don't specifically say anything about visitors, but it seems contrary to a food bank's mission to feed the hungry if only UK citizens are allowed to eat there. They have links where you can call or email if you want to check.

Otherwise, call the US Embassy and see if someone can point you in the right direction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm brainstorming right now. Is there any possible way, that I can get him a fast loan here in the USA with his personal information and send it to him via Western Union? I'm trying to figure out how to get him some $ bc he has a $535 to pay for medical bill and a plane flight back to Texas which is no less than $800. I don't have the $ to let him borrow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
His bank will not allow him to add me or make any changes in the UK. They keep on telling him it has to be in person in the USA where the acct originated.
You can't get a fast loan using someone else's information, because that's considered a form of identity theft (even if you're doing it for his benefit). You could try to get a fast loan using your information and send him the money.

Do you have a credit card that you could use to take a cash advance? Then, you could send him money that way or use it to buy the ticket. Otherwise, do you have friends who could loan you money? If not the whole amount, maybe a few people who could each give you some of it.

I'm really sorry that you're in this situation, and I hope your boyfriend is able to get back to the U.S. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, they won't allow him to get a fast loan in the USA while he is the UK. Uk don't offer this either. So, he's stuck. I don't have anyone I can borrow $ for him as they don't know him nor do I ask friends for $. If I had all of this, I won't be asking this question at all. I'm trying to get him to be responsible. Not giving my info to anyone. Plus, its known if you can't afford to give $ than don't borrow it bc its a 50/50 chance you will never get it back.
I really am sorry. I hope he makes it back safely.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You don't have any other suggestions. How can someone from the USA get a fast cash loan while they are in the UK? If you can't answer this, can you transfer it to a Banking Expert. They may know the loop holes.
Because a fast cash loan is so far beyond the scope of the original question, unfortunately, under the terms of the expert agreement, I have to ask you to open a new question in one of the finance threads. Hopefully, someone there will be familiar with international banking issues in the UK.