Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My sister is the executor of my mothers will. She failed

Customer Question
My sister is the executor...
My sister is the executor of my mother's will. She failed to notify me of anything even the filing of probate. I live in Illinois. I found out and am contesting the will. She sold my mother's house to my other sister's husband, pulling the wool over the other siblings' eyes, by dropping the price $20,000 in one day. This made it possible for my sister and her husband to buy the house. The other sister is still expecting her chunk. That is one point in contesting the will. Is this legal. Illinois is a community property state. I am a paralegal but am having trouble finding the answers.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2010
Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

Illinois is not a "Community Property" state, but even if it were, it is irrelevant when it comes to probating a will.

Not only should you contest the will as you already are doing, you should also demand an accounting from the Executrix and charge her with breaching her fiduciary duty in preserving the assets of the estate. By reducing the price by $20,000, she cost the Estate and the beneficiaries their fair share of and additional $20,000. This action may be enough to remove your sister as Executrix of the will, have her forfeit her fee as Executrix of the will and having the Court appoint another Executrix.

_____________________________________________________________

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney