How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i recently threw my brother out of my home. he lived here with

Customer Question

i recently threw my brother out of my home. he lived here with his wife who filed an order of protection and left the property May 17th 2010. he is now threatening me and refuses to remove his belongings. he has not paid rent in over three months.
he has threatened me and is harrasing me
what if any rights does he have and can i file an order of protection?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

You may consider obtaining an order of protection based on fear of physical harm.

You will need to go to the local courthouse to obtain the order of protection. The clerk will give you the forms and assist you. The judge will immediately sign the order of protection if the forms on their face appear that you are in reasonable fear of harm

The filing fee may be waived based on need. The sheriff will serve him promptly after the judge signs the orders. After service, if he contacts you, you may have him arrested.

There will be a hearing at a later date to extend the order of protection and you may ask the judge to have the sheriff remove his items from your home

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Related Legal Questions