How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41555
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was born February 15, 1990 in Tucson, Arizona.

Customer Question

My daughter was born February 15, 1990 in Tucson, Arizona. I live in Tennessee. We were never married. I bought some bonds for my daughter's collegefund. The bonds were in my name with her as the beneficiary. In 2006, her mother asked for child support. I paid child support voluntarily. Since I was nearly broke, I cashed in the bonds to help pay support. I paid her $200 a month for 2 1/2 years. Now they want the money for the bonds and are threatening to sue me for back child support. Do they have a case?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Who is they here?Did you buy these voluntarily and are they designated for college only here?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They is her mother. I used that money to help pay child support. There was no court order. It was between her mother and I. She agreed not to come after me for back support if I paid her $200 a month. It was for about 2/12 years.

The bonds I think were Series EE bonds. I believe they were in my name. There was no specific designation for college.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
So argue that you paid support here and that these were your bonds since they were in your name and legally you could use them to pay child support here.

Related Legal Questions