MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I HIRED A MAN TO BUILD A SCREENED IN PORCH-- HE WANTED THE

I HIRED A MAN TO BUILD A SCREENED IN PORCH-- HE WANTED THE FULL AMOUNT UPFRONT(DUMB ME) HOWEVER HE WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF MY NEIGHBOR THE AMOUNT WAS $3400 HE FINSHED 3/4 AND WANTED MORE MONEY. I SAID NO AND HE LEFT,I FIGURE HE HAS ABOUT $1200 LEFT, HOW CAN I RECOVER THIS?
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, did you have a written contract?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes he gave me a written estimate, and and addtional one for $1300 more which i gave him . the $1300 is an additional estimate. He said he bought all the supplies and used his labor up on supplys,and then he said he had no money and wanted more!
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, the estimate is not a binding contract capping the fees that may be charged for the work performed, it is an estimate of the fees that may be charged.

The language of the estimate provided is critical because it determines whether there was a reasonable belief that the job was to be completed for the estimate price, and what occurs in the event the estimate does not. Generally, the estimate states that the customer will be notified in advance of the deficiency and then a determination will be made of whether to continue the job.