Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am doing research for a legal ethics course and am having

Customer Question
trouble finding the information I...
I am doing research for a legal ethics course and am having trouble finding the information I seek. I need to know how to become a licensed attorney in the state of North Carolina.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2010
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 7 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Here are the qualifications from the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners.

Basically:

1) Obtain a law degree from an accredited law school
2) Submit to and pass a character and fitness background examination
3) Obtain a passing score of at least 346 on the bar exam.

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Is it a requirement that they join the state or national bar association in this state?
If they intend to practice in North Carolina, and get licensed there, they are admitted to the North Carolina Bar automatically. But it's not required that an attorney join the American Bar Association or any other association.
Thank you kindly, Sir.
No problem, it was a pleasure, glad I could help. Have a good night. Thank you for the bonus!
No worries. I know attorneys are busy people and I am thankful you could supplement my terrible query skills! Have a great night, yourself!
Sometimes, it's all about knowing where to look. One thing about law school -it teaches you how to research, lol.
I am working on that presently. After nc attorneys are licensed, how are they regulated?
They're regulated by the North Carolina Bar. Attorneys have to take regular CLE (continuing legal education classes) in order to maintain their license, and of course, pay annual dues. Obviously, they should avoid getting into any legal (criminal) trouble, because that can lead to discipline up to and including the loss of one's license. And of course, a client can always file a grievance with the North Carolina Bar Association if they feel their attorney acted unprofessionally or unethically, and the Bar will investigate.
Thank you so much! I will leave you alone now! Have a great night!
Just ignore this -it keeps coming up on my screen that you "requested" me, so I'm posting something to clear it out.
RobertJDFL, Attorney