How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a grandmother seeking custodial guardianship of my three

Customer Question

I am a grandmother seeking custodial guardianship of my three grandchildren.. the mother agrees to all three, but the father of the first/oldest child is harrassing the mother.. We have documentation from Dr.'s, Teachers and others stateing that this child is in an unhealthy environment with his birth father... what can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-pojfiq5k-. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Have you filed a court case?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no.. don't know what to do or how... I am on disability....
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer- If the father will not agree then you will have to file a motion for custody through the courts. I understand that your daughter has custody now but the father has the right to be included in any action involving the custody of any of the children. I also understand you have these various reports from the agencies and professionals which is good. All of that can be used as evidence in a court case for custody.


Since your daughter agrees then the only problem is with the father so you at least have one parent on your side. Unless you can find some way to get a case filed in the local family court I see no of getting legal custody changed to you. You can try contacting legal aid or the Bar Association for a low cost or pro bono attorney and you are permitted to file your own case but it can get complicated.


If the father will at least agree to the two children moving in with you that would be a start. I can only offer general information from this website and cannot actually represent clients. I have included the website for the Bar Association below. You may want to contact them to see if you can find an attorney in your area who could be of assistance.


Dave Kennett