Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

If I file a no contact restraining order do I have to appear

If I file a no contact restraining order do I have to appear in court?
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Yes, if you want the order to be put in place. If you file the restraining order (RO), it will get set for a hearing. The hearing will be your opportunity to prove your allegations and the respondent's opportunity to refute your allegations.

If you fail to show, then you certainly cannot substantiate your claims. If you can't or don't substantiate your claims, the RO will be dismissed.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What can the court consider as substantial evidence to get a no contact order?
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Evidence can come in many forms. If you have witnesses, bring them to court. If the police were called, have the court issue a subpoena to have the officer present in court. If you have pictures, take those. And, of course, your testimony is evidence as well. In fact, most RO's come down to the testimony of the petitioner versus the testimony of the respondent.