How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to make matters easier for my two sons. My exhusband

Resolved Question:

I am trying to make matters easier for my two sons. My exhusband (Steven L. McDonald)died July 1 at a Vero Beach hospital. He was living with a woman but not married. She refuses to release any personal possessions, papers, etc. What do my sons need to do towards any legal matters for the state of Florida? To our knowledge, he had no monetary assets except life insurance and his pension. We live in West Virginia. Do we have to come to Florida? Thank you,

Beverly McDonald
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If he was a resident of Florida, your son will have to file a petition to probate his estate there. As part of opening the estate, he can apply to be appointed as the personal representative of the estate.


Once he is given this court-ordered title, your son can collect your father's property - including whatever is at his house - life insurance money, etc.


The first thing you should do is contact an estate attorney in the county of his residence for help with getting this process started.

Roger and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions