How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello...I have two tenant landlord questions. I am a tenant

This answer was rated:

Hello...I have two tenant landlord questions. I am a tenant in Los Angeles, CA. I have lived in my apartment for over 20 years.
1. I have request the landlord to change the carpet or go half with me to replace the floor with wood floors. The landlord refused on both counts. Is this legal...there is no backing under the existing carpet and there are a few holes in the carpet?
2. I have a shower that only puts out hot water...I reported this over a month ago. I just contacted the landlord again and she is saying that I have to wait an additional month is this okay? I feel like I am being disrepected. I have always paid the rent on time.
It is not illegal for the landlord to refuse to make upgrades, but if the carpet is worn from wear and tear, the landlord should replace it. However, the landlord is under no legal obligation to replace the carpet unless it poses some type of health or safety standard.

You can withhold rent until the landlord corrects the water problem. You will need to write the landlord a letter stating that you're withholding the rent until the issues are corrected.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you and I am sad that there is nothing to site to protect me...if I choose to with hold the rent. I can not loose where I live and be evicted for trying to get the landlord to be fair. Is there any thing you can share to assist?
No. If you withhold rent for a legitimate reason, like a unaddressed repair, but you need to put it writing and also state that you will put the money in an escrow account to pay when the repairs are made.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great! Thanks!!! However, the Escrow account...does that mean I will pay once the repairs are made or do I need to open a separate account with the bank?
The money is to pay the rent once the repairs are made. You could open a separate account or see I'd your bank has an escrow account for customers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you!!! You are a peace maker with in my heart. Your service is deeply appreciated.


Gratefully, Sharing the Same Sky...Janvie Cason

No problem and good luck.
Roger and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you