How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter (licensed 17 year old) was in an accident in Texas--Sept.

This answer was rated:

My daughter (licensed 17 year old) was in an accident in Texas--Sept. 2001 while driving my car. The other driver was admittedly at fault. Her insurance paid for all the damages to my vehicle and rental car expenses. A year after the accident, I moved to Louisiana. Two years after that, the other driver sues me right before the LOL! The papers were served to a home where I was no longer living. By the time I got the notice, it was almost a year later. I didn't know what to do. In 2007 when I pulled a copy of my credit report, this suit is on it! I cannot afford an attorney--Texas or Louisiana. What do I do? I want to buy a home and this blemish on my credit report will not allow me to do so.

If you were not properly served with the summons and complaint, you have a right to set aside the judgment based on improper service of process and lack of service of process.


A motion to set aside the judgment would have to be filed with the court that entered a judgment against you. If there is no proof that you were properly served, the court should dismiss the judgment against you and remove it from the records.


You'll need an attorney to help you do this. You should try to find a legal aid group in your area for help if you can't afford an attorney.

Roger and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you