How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31730
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds my father died in mother has always been

This answer was rated: my father died in mother has always been a greedy one!! I have been receiving a small royalties check from some mineral rights from oil? down in Oklahoma that apparently went to us kids at the time of his death. Apparently, I own other land down there as well, as she called me and wanted me to sign a quick claim deed on the land (deeding it to her of course!) Oil company is wanting to lease is involved. Do I not have the right, to know exactly what in fact is mine, and how do I go about finding that out. Cant trust my mother...she already swindled me out of $50,000.

You absolutely have a right to find out what you own. If there is a will from your father, you can find out what you were left from the terms contained in the will. You can file a court petition to order your mother to produce the will.


If there is no will, you would need to get an abstract company to search the land records for the county/counties where your father had holdings and see what belongs to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got will from courthouse this morning. Nothing at all is mentioned. says my mother gets the estate. but then again in another article it says us kids get the residual estate. She said at one point years ago, that she failed to have all this oil well stuff put in probate?? So, I own land, mineral rights, etc..... but dont know antything about it. How do I get her to divulge this info.??? Thansk so much
My suggestion is to have a real estate attorney review the will and see what exactly you're entitled to under the terms of the will. Then, he/she can file a petition for an accounting from your mother to produce all information she has concerning his holdings, including these mineral rights, to see what you are entitled to.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is a sneaky one......she surely cant have my name taken off of these things can she?
No - unless she forged your signature....
Roger and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you