How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed a short term disability claim in March 2010 and was

Resolved Question:

I filed a short term disability claim in March 2010 and was notified that my claim was denied due to pre-existing condition. Who can I contact to help me file an appeal. My employer is of no assistance.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Hi - I practice in Tennessee.


If the insurance company for your employer denied the claim, you need to get a copy of the plan summary or policy to determine how to appeal a denied claim and to file appeals in a timely manner. Most policies do make allowances for late appeals if an individual is incapacitated or is otherwise unable to file an appeal.


You'll have to go through the administrative process first. If the appeal is denied administratively, you can then seek help by filing suit in your county circuit court (you would need to consult an attorney for that).

Roger and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you