How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my ex owes back child support and is on disability, is the

Resolved Question:

If my ex owes back child support and is on disability, is the any way to get him to pay on the support in arrears?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello there:

I assume that you are talking about social security disability? Or is it from another source?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes social security disability.


Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello again:

lots of tools are available; to start, his SSD can be garnished; this would allow for payment of arrears to come directly from the social security administration. You can also garnish his bank accounts and his income tax refunds; you can have his property seized and auctioned. If he owes more than $2,500 you can have his driver's license suspended and his passport suspended. You can also prosecute him for contempt of court. Generally speaking, your county child support enforcement office can get the ball rolling on most of these.

I hope that this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I need to know if I understand how this works. I have 30 days to ask questions, all for a one time fee of $38, is that correct? May I ask questions about other things or more about the same thing?

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello again:

Paragraph 9 of Just Answer's Terms of Service Agreement reads as follows:

"Subscription. Subscriptions allow customers to ask multiple questions on the Site for a monthly or annual recurring fee. Each subscription period, subscription customers are automatically charged a deposit of the subscription fee, which remains in the Subscription Customer Pool (account of all subscription customers’ subscription payments) and is tracked in the customers’ accounts. As a subscription customer, once you receive a helpful answer (as determined by you in your sole discretion), you are requested to click on the "Accept" button, which authorizes payment from the Subscription Customer Pool to the Expert and subtracts the amount paid to the Expert from the accounting deposits in your JustAnswer customer account. If you do not find an answer helpful for any reason, then as your sole remedy you may disregard the answer and not accept it. At the end of each subscription period, any remaining subscription fee deposit in the subscription customer pool that is accounted for in your JustAnswer customer account will be paid to JustAnswer as compensation for use of the technologies and resources underlying and consisting of the Site. At any time, you may cancel your subscription and request a refund of any subscription fee deposit remaining in your JustAnswer customer account. To cancel a subscription, when you are logged into your JustAnswer account, click on the "My Account" link, then under the "Payment Information" section, you will see a radio button to turn your subscription OFF. If you agree to a subscription and then later agree to a different subscription, the terms of the later selected subscription will apply and your earlier selected subscription will be canceled."

Emphasis is added. I do not have anything to do with the customer's individual accounts so I can only rely on your information as to whether you signed up for the monthly subscription option; I am just the brains Smiletitle="Smile"/>, so that is all that I can tell you. If you have a question about billing specific to your account, just direct it [email protected] .

I am glad to work with you through this question thread or with a new one. I would just request that if you want to start a new thread in the legal category, ask for me by name in the question (e.g. "This question is for B.T. Mayer") and if you prefer to work through this thread that you "accept" all of the answers that you find to be helpful. So, in short, you may ask to your heart's content... just don't forget about the little guy on the other end :).
Brandon M. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you