How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a speeding ticket (ie, going 110 in a 55 mph zone) and

Resolved Question:

I got a speeding ticket (ie, going 110 in a 55 mph zone) and I also got another ticket for negligent driving. I'm terrified that I'll get points on my driving record. I don't mind paying the fine (which is $530 for the first [speeding] ticket and $140 for the second [negligent driving] ticket), but I really want to avoing getting the points, which will make my insurance go up (if they don't cancel me; that is). I'm also terrified about going to court. I'm wondering if I'm better of pleading guilty with an explanation (which means I'd plead my case to the judge only [ie, the police officer wouldn't be present] and hope the judge would just fine me and not assess the points or should I take my chances in court [where there's a pretty good chance the officer would show up and it would be his word against mine]? I'm terrified of getting the points attached to my driving record. I feel as if I'm doomed no matter which way I turn. Can anybody advise me as to what to do? If it matters, this happened in (Baltimore County) Maryland.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

With the type of an offense you are looking at, you need an attorney right away. a 110 in a 55 is double the speed, meaning that the police may simply take your license away for misdemeanor level driving. You will need an attorney to try to plead down the citation to something more manageable, but I will be extremely surprised if you end up getting your points removed--sorry, but I prefer to be honest.

Pleading guilty is a bad idea--you simply give license to the judge to uphold the fines and the points against you. Get an attorney who may be able to convince the officer to lower the offense against you in a plea deal if you agree to plead guilty.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 7:01 AM EST
Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Mr. Kaplun:


You sent me an e-mail asking me to accept your answer. I accepted your answer, and the amount of $48 was deducted from my account on July 2. Can you please check on your end to ensure that it was received? If it wasn't, I'd be happy to remit the payment. Please confirm. Thanks!!!!