Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My wife & I recently learned that the rabbi that performed

My wife & I recently learned that the rabbi that performed our wedding was indicted for, & plead guilty for fraud as he was not truly an ordained rabbi. What affect, if any, does this have on the legality of our marriage? We were married & currently live in NJ.
Thank you for your question.

Oy. That is not good news. If a non-ordained rabbi performed the wedding, then the ceremony was deemed invalid, and that is one of the conditions of a valid marriage (the other being the contract). Contact the courts to see if the marriage would be upheld due to his status, and if not, go to a courthouse and get the judge to preform the quick marriage ceremony to cover any deficiency.

However please do not let me worry you unduly--most likely the courts will permit the ceremony to stand and you will not have to go through the trouble.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 5:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This may be a silly question, but would I be contacting the court where he was indicted, or the township where we obtained our marriage license? Or the township where we currently live? Thank you.
That is not a silly question at all. You contact the township where you obtained the marriage license, and if they state that the marriage is invalid, then you contact the local court to you, get an emergency hearing with the judge, and get him to make you legal.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 5:59 AM EST