Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

can i make an adjoining land owner build a fence that was tore

Customer Question

can i make an adjoining land owner build a fence that was tore out 30yrs ago neighbors have sprayed my crops 9 of 14 years and continually plant on my side.   I do have a small cow calf herd on the property 12 pairs
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Good evening. Unfortunately, you cannot require your neighbor to build a fence. What you can do is build your own fence. You can also possibly give him incentive to either build a fence or help you pay for a shared fence by informing him that you will file a suit against him if he trespasses, damages your crops and/or plants anything on your property.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I forgot to mention I do have a small cow calf herd does owning livestock change my situation

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, not. Basically under the law, if you want a fence you are obligated to put up your own fence. Most of the time, neighbors can work it out where they share the cost of the fence, but there is no obligation to do so. I'm sorry!