Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in Los Angeles (4 yrs) and feel I am being flagrantly

Customer Question
taken advantage of at work...
I live in Los Angeles (4 yrs) and feel I am being flagrantly taken advantage of at work regarding salary. My work ethic and record is near flawless and I am paid about 10k below the average job title (staff accountant) and about 20k below in regards XXXXX XXXXX office salaries for this company and the media industry. Is unethical favoritism illegal?

I have worked for the same corporation for 4 years and have a written record of my salary and job description disputes along with exceptional reviews. The company is aware of personal financial constraints that are keeping me in my current position and I feel they are criminally taking advantage. It's been a 2 year fight with no real answers and I am at my wits end. Any info would be appreciated.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
7/1/2010
Lawyer: Teacher Editor, Instructor replied 7 years ago
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor

Unethical favoritism is not illegal but discrimination and harassment is illegal. If you feel that you're not being treated equally to others based on your nationality, religion, sex or disability, you make have a harassment case that you can file at the EEOC (www.eeoc.gov) or you can have a discrimination civil case against them.

The best advice I have for you is to really go to the VP and ask what you can do to make it more equal and fair. Make it known that you're willing to improve to let them see that you are not being offensive but rather you really do care about the company and want to help it grow. They want to keep good employees and retraining someone will cost more money. In the very least, you should get some kind of raise.

Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor