How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41610
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Moved from the state of SC in December, 1986 to the state

Resolved Question:

I Moved from the state of SC in December, 1986 to the state of Utah, where I have resided ever since. In trying to renew my Utah drivers license recently they would not allow me to do so, because supposedly I am over my Points on my drivers license, which for one expired in SC over 20 years ago, and as far as I can recall I never received a ticket. The fine to get back in good graces is $100. It will take upwards of two weeks to request to see if this is even me they are really talking about. It's $20 just to get this. In the meantime, I'm kinda stuck. Is there a statute of limitations on this? Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.There is no statute of limitations here .The state here can suspend license and appeal time is limited.All you can do is to seek some break on the repayment.But I know you need your license so your license is real limited.If they insist here on the amount you have to pay to get license back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't need SC license at all. Don't live there any more. Just want and need my Utah license. Did not do anything at all back there during that time to lose my license.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.

Well see what they claim you got points for.If they have you as having ticket I'm not sure you can prove this didn't happen.You certainly can try.I understand that SC here is got you long after you left.This is more common than you think since they are all linked together these days.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That in itself is what I am tryig to find out, but it will take them almost 2 weeks just to get the answer to me, as they have to research how I lost the points, as it supposedly happened in 1986. In the meantime I am out of a license in UT.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Call Utah DM V and ask about hardship license as a possibility in the interim..

What are the requirements for getting a hardship license?

This discretionary privilege is limited to when undue hardship would result from a failure to grant the privilege and may be granted only once to any individual during any single period of denial, suspension, revocation, or disqualification, or extension of that denial, suspension, revocation, or disqualification. § 53-3-220.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this statute something that is legally binding nationwide, or is this a Utah specific statute?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Every state has it but Utah for sure and the reference I gave you was for there.Its worth asking about because to me you should qualify.It allows you to go to and from work here..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any out of state travel? Was looking to drive to Washington state in the next week to see family. Getting this resolved quickly is my goal, but properly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
aorry, any answer to that last question yetv
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I missed you last night.You are not going to have license unless you get this resolved.A hardship license would not allow you to travel except to and from work.So there would be risk here with suspended license
Ray and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you