How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34406
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

October 1979, My husband died and he left a Will stating I

Resolved Question:

October 1979, My husband died and he left a Will stating'"I give, devise, and bequeath all of my estate and property, real, personal, or mixed, whatsoever or wheresoever situated, of which I may die seized or possessed or to which I may be entitled at the time of my death, to my Wife. The sisters and brothers sold some property belonging to the father. There were eight children, one deceased leaving seven childred and the wife of the oldest deceased son.
I recorded the Will in that county Court in March, 2010 when I was informed they were going to sell the property. I see on the Owner's Affidavit and Agreement I was listed as receiving my husband's share. I was sent the Settlement Statement - Total go to Seller $69,361.31.
I received the 1099-B and the Percentage of my Ownership 4.17 Gross monies to me would be $2,919.00. (The Percentage of Ownership to a brother 12.50 Gross monies to him $8,750.00. I do not why this was in my package). Why is my share much less?
If I remarried, would it make a difference? (Inez)
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
If this was reported on a 1099 b it would most likely be from a sale of stock. Since you would not normally have a claim on your father in law's estate, I can only presume that you are the successor in interest to your husband's share in the property. As an interested party, you are entitled to an accounting. Contact whoever sent you the Settlement Statement and 1099B and they should be able to answer all your questions regarding the transaction. If you are the successor in interest under your husband's will it should not make a difference if you remarried.

Edited by LawGuy on 7/1/2010 at 3:20 AM EST
Loren and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you