How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56550
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my deceased brothers roommate begged me to help him find

Customer Question

I had my deceased brothers roommate begged me to help him find an affordable home and to make a long story short he agreed to a 50-50 deal and we live together since it would be considerable work to find a home for about 50 thousand 3 bed 2 bath in good shape. Not an easy task and to get a loan company or real estate company to assist with.I looked in 2 different states lots of work and spent a good 8 months trying to find driving,looking in person at the property, on the internet etc etc. Finally I bidded on a few and we got 1. He lived in redmond washington and did a limited power of attorney he is 72
and only gets 859 dollars a month from Social security so I figured he could not make it alone. The house was to be in his name and I did the closing, I got the deal done in 30 days and hud gave him a $1000 discount. I also got him a couple other breaks as well. I had the Vinyl installed twice and not counting electrical and all my driving and the home needed a lot of work to be livable I cannot tell you how much time and work was involved a brief overview is over 12 pages. Now the guy does not want to do the deal 50-50 and claims it never happened and has lied to me 3 times about when he would actually do it. he was not here and I had to fix alot and at my expense and time that he was aware of. My wife and 9 year old son live with us which he was also aware of. I am 45 and I am so disapointed. I even unloaded the truck for him and have been waiting on him and his dog hand and foot. What can I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. what result do you want?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A good result. I would like to get the 50-50 he promised. I told him that I have about 15,000 dollars in my time and work in finding the home and fixing it, planting flowers,
decorative blocks, Trees, Mulch, Paint the whole inside of the house including ceiling with 3 coats and fix walls, potting soil, grass cutting,Fix roof, Fix sink, Installed 2 of my antique light fixtures,Install my fawcett and dish washer, dryer, washer, Bulbs,refrigerator. Pressure washing, cutting several big tree limbs and hauling off, hauling off trash, setting up services, Cleaning I could go on and on. I told him I would take 10,000 but that is the bottom and he does not have any money. He also got all my brothers things willed to him (my brother died of cancer) he also got his money that was left probably a few grand. He has blown a lot of money over the past year .
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You want to sue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well what are my choices? How much would that cost? I am not in the best circumstances and I trusted him. Cant believe how hard I worked to help him and myself. He told me I did not deserve it and he was going to leave the house to his daughter that did not do anything. I almost passed out from disbelief after working on the house for 2 straight months (Me and my wife) my neighbor knows and actually loves us.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
Consider using a lawyer on contingency fee to negotiate a settlement or else sue. wont cost you a thing since lawyer recovers out of what recovers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I find a lawyer that would do a contigency? I have heard that they are tough to find, If I sue I could only go to small claims correct? $5000 is the max there.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You can locate one locally on and small claims court would not be able to award you such a large amount.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What type of practice? but if he is living on social security they cant take money from that and it would be worthless would it not? maybe could get a judgement but he does not have a lot of valuables and is hard to enforce. Could I get a Lien but then he will live here till he dies. Can he evict me?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
suing someone without assets it a consideration. He can only evict you if he is an owner of property and you are not. You want a general civil litigation lawyer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
His asset is the house and yes it is in his name. I was the power of attorney even doing all the closing. So now he could evict me after doing 100 percent of the work and paying more on the bills than he does because the home is in his name?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
If it is in his name and not yours, he is a title holder and can evict through court anyone who is not an owner or does not have lease rights.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even if i am paying? how long would that process take? Could I make my arguement in court that he promised me half and I did all the work on the home and all other work as well? Thats why I even did the closing and was his limited power of attorney, I did it all!
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You are paying rent without a lease? You can still be evicted but process would take about 2 months.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How long would it be before I would receive an eviction notice. I had a lot of expenses
that I have never been re-imbursed for and before I went to closing he had sent me 2 blank checks I used one and still have the other (signed by him) other than that could I write my name on the check and amount and cash it legally? I feel bad about asking that question but I have not done anything to even make him mad and he is cheating me.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
I cannot speculate when notice will come but it can come anytime.