How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce was finalized in Minnesota. I currently live in

Resolved Question:

My divorce was finalized in Minnesota. I currently live in Oklahoma and my ex-husband and daughter live in Houston. My ex-husband and I have joint custody, but he has physical custody of our 13 year-old daughter. She no longer wants to live with him. What can I do and what state do I need to do it in?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello there:

you generally have two options in this situation:

1. File for a motion to modify custody in Minnesota; or

2. File a motion to change venue in Minnesota and transfer it to Houston; thereafter file a motion to modify custody in Houston.

The order stays where it originates, but when both parents and the child no longer live in-state, it can transfer to the state where the child resides.

I hope that this helps.
Brandon M. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you