Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

To whom this may concern, My husband got arrested Tuesday

Customer Question

To whom this may concern,

My husband got arrested Tuesday and is charged with Burgalry of a dwelling with assault or battery and I need to find a pro bono attorney I live in Winter Springs and we are a low income household. He was the head of house I was just a housewife and we are a low income family we are basically living on the street right now. We are just holding on by a hair and I know that there is such a thing as pro bono attorneys and we desperately need help, and they will not give him a bond and they are saying this is punishable by life and that is why they won't give him a bond. Please help.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lucy, Esq. :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Lucy, Esq. :

This site lists some pro bono programs that might be able to help:
http://lawyers.justia.com/lawyers/criminal-law/florida

Customer:

It is okay I am just very depressed

Lucy, Esq. :

I can certainly understand that. Why do you think a pro bono attorney would be better?

Customer:

I am not sure what I am going to do. I really need to find a pro bono attorney

Lucy, Esq. :

Is there a problem with the public defender?

Customer:

I know that they are professional attorneys and they can get a lot more accomplished then a pd and he wants me to hire an attorney but I am broke I am in collictions and I do not trust pds especially when supposeble this is punishable by life and I do not understand why he did not get a bond

Lucy, Esq. :

It is fairly common for a court not to allow someone to get out on bond if the offense is punishable by life imprisonment, especially if it is a violent offense.

Lucy, Esq. :

http://www.martindale.com lists attorneys - you can search by location and practice area.

Customer:

but even rapist and murders get bonds. Do you think that their is a chance that he could get a bond. I did not even know that was such a violent crime

Lucy, Esq. :

You can also try http://www.nolo.com/

Lucy, Esq. :

A lot of rapists and murderers do not get bonds. In fact, most accused murders probably do not.

Lucy, Esq. :

The judge looks, basically, at whether a person is a flight risk and/or a danger to the community. To decide if someone is a flight risk, the judge looks at whether he has ties to the community - job, family, kids in school, owns a home, etc.

Lucy, Esq. :

If someone has a prior failure to appear in court, that would also suggest that he is a flight risk.

Customer:

Do you think that a pro bono attorney would even help me with this? I am trying to get him to ask for a bond hearing!! Do you think that is feasible in his case

Customer:

no he has no ftas

Lucy, Esq. :

A lot of pro bono attorneys will only take cases that are high profile or that involve a civil rights violation. It's hard to say what another attorney will do, but you can talk to a few. It may be better to sit down and talk to the public defender, because he is already familar with the facts of the case. He should be able to request a bond hearing.