Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

my preacher lied to me to get me to give him an email account

Customer Question
on my business and committed...
my preacher lied to me to get me to give him an email account on my business and committed acts unbecoming of a minister. what rights do I have to sue him. I feel devastated and feel like I am being forced to leave my church because if I say anything against the preacher I can be held accountable for defamation of character. I know about the emails when he asked me to get into his account to change his password XXXXX warned him that I may see his email before I got into it and with his permission proceeded to see emails that shall we say were not business related.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
7/1/2010
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 7 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Thank your for asking Just Answer,

You are allowed to speak publically as truth is an absolute defense to defamation. As far as legal matters, unless you feel he has violated criminal statutes and want to report him there is not much you can do in civil court because you have suffered no financial harm.
If I speak out to the session of the church with detailed informations can they sue me? And tell me if I am correct, I understand as the owner of my web site I have the right to get in and print out the emails on the server under his account.
If you have authorization to access his account you are okay. If you are just a host with no specific authorization to enter his private email account then you may have violated privacy laws in doing so. If you have authority to obtain the information. Reporting it to the session is perfectly fine.
I am the owner of a computer business, I have a web site, and also maintain the church's web site. He had told me that his personal email got hacked into and he needed a secure email, but did not want to use the church's email. I told him I could put him on my server. He asked me if anyone could get into it. I told him that I would be the only one that would have access but I have the right to get in if I wanted to at any time, because I monitor employee emails. The way I saw the specific email that alerted me to his actions was under his request on his computer. I believe under these facts that I have the right to access the email. Does that sound right? He was informed that I do maintain and monitor email.
Does sound like you have authorization. Of course it would be great if it were in writing in some sort of contract between the two of you. If not you do run a risk of he said she said. You did say you have a business with other employees. If they would vouch for you as this is your standard practice to have authority to access email then you are probably still safe.

Please click accept so I receive credit for helping you.
So I guess you are finished listening to me, I will click accept when I feel satisfied. I am wanting to know specifically do I have the right to print out the email after the fact and use it as proof. I saw the email legally. Do I have the right given that fact to go into my server and print that email out for the session to view. I have already terminated his use of that email account.
Yes you have that right your right to access his emails on your server continues even after he terminates his account. Not that I am tired of listening to you but many do not realize they need to click accept or else I have spent more than a half an hour with you and do not receive any compensation.
Ok so is my access in the first place only valid by contract or do I have the right as the business owner to access his email.
You really do not have the right as a business owner but by oral or written contract with him consenting to you having access to his account. Even if he terminated the services it does not prevent you from accessing the old emails based on what you have told me about your agreement. It sounds like your agreement was that you monitor emails as they come in, that you will allow him to use your server but that he must agree that you can monitor his emails. This gives you full consent to see and continue to see and print the emails that he has transmitted through you as his email host.
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
John Legal
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney