Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

What will happen to me for stealing food from wal mart This

Customer Question

What will happen to me for stealing food from wal mart? This is my first affence.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Here are the penalties for petty theft.

1st Degree Petit Theft (First Degree Petty Theft)

If the property stolen is valued between $100 and $299, then the defendant will be charged with a 1st Degree Misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine.

However, if the defendant has been convicted twice of any theft crime, then he/she will be charged with a 3rd Degree Felony (5 yrs/$5000 max penalty)

2nd Degree Petit Theft (Second Degree Petty Theft)

If the property stolen is valued at less than $100 or not specified in any other theft statute, then the defendant will be charged with a 2nd Degree Misdemeanor, with a maximum sentence of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have know piors. Can you please spell it out for me?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Ask prosecutor here about deferred sentencing.They may give you community service or other terms and then its dismissed if you complete it.This is what you want to keep off your record here and protect yourself.This is a low level crime here but keep it off your record it hurts you looking for work if convicted.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So the deferred sentencing would keep it off my record if i do what they say?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Yes it would they defer until you complete terms and then it is dismissed entirely off your record.