My fingure got laserated and required stiches costing $1400…

Customer Question
My fingure got laserated and...
My fingure got laserated and required stiches costing $1400 out of pocket as a result of a neighbors dog getting loose and attacking my dog while walking him on his leash. The owner was in the back yard and came out to the street to pull his dog off of my dog. He came to my house and told me he would take care of whatever the expenses were. I did file a report on the incident to protect my rights. After sending him the biils and a follow-up letter he has since verbally told me he will not pay the bills and I can take him to court.

A neighbor 4 houses down heard the dogs growling and me yelling. By time he got out to the street where he could see what was going on he saw the dogs owner walking across the grass to get his dog and saw me walking away with my hand in the air.

1. Can I include the cost of my time on the matter?
2. Do I need to include both he and his wife as defendants as both are listed on the county records as owners?
3. Should I drop the wife as a defendant and replace her with the HOA?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/30/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Thanks for your question.Sue them both.You are entitled here to all your damages--lost wages, medical, pain and suffering.If you are doing this in say small claims then file for the limits in this situation.Certainly you have had real pain and suffering in all of this and that needs to be part of your recovery.You can file up to $5k here in small claims--I would do this amount.

Information on small claims

http://circuit8.org/sc/

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/30/2010 at 1:56 PM EST
Ray, Lawyer
Who are you refering to as BOTH? I can only list 2 defendants. Husband and wife or husband and HOA?
Please clarify your answer
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You can add in the HOA if you think you can tie this to them.Failure to maintain common areas or whatever.You woudl file one suit against all the parties.This includes husband, wife, and HOA.You have more pockets here by doing so.