I was scammed out of $1,000s between May and September of…

Customer Question
I was scammed out of...
I was scammed out of $1,000's between May and September of last year on Yahoo Messenger by 4 people. Two of those people claimed to be law enforcement officials and went by email addresses. They [email protected] [email protected] The other 2 people went by rachel.oberlin and peter_umbach It's probably too late to do anything about it now. I sent the FBI here in Mississippi a couple emails over the past few months and to this day I haven't received a single reply. I don't want this to go to court. I know I never will see every penny I was scammed out of but I was hoping to get back at least half. They wound up with at least $7,500 of my hard earned money over a period of 5 months. How can I get at least 50% of that money back?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/30/2010
Lawyer: Michael J., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Michael J., Esq.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

Do you know the real names of these people? Do you know where they are from?

Thanks,

Michael
No, I don't know their real names. I never met them in person. The only times I ever communicated with them was on Yahoo Messenger. I don't even know what they look like. The 2 so-called law enforcement officials always threatened to come to my house and drag me to jail every time I said I would send no more money. I never had any way of knowing whether they were or weren't real law enforcement officials.

They obviously were not law enforcement officials, as real law enforcement officials do not operate in the manner in which you have described. You were definitely scammed.

Unfortunately, all of the options you have for getting your money back revolve around finding out these people's real names. Without their names, you can not press charges against them or file civil suits against them.

My advice is to speak with a civil attorney about your options. You may be able to file a civil suit against "John Doe 1" and "John Doe 2", and then issue subpoenas to Yahoo to divulge the names and ip addresses of these scammers. Otherwise, Yahoo will not give the information.

Good luck,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael