I have an HR question. We let employees in one division go…

Customer Question
I have an HR question...
I have an HR question. We let employees in one division go and I have one that will refuse to sign a severence agreement and seeking additional $$ as they felt that one of the other employees that was also let go created a hostle work environment while they were working here. Our currently lawyer recommends we pay it, but I refuse to settle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/30/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
What your attorney is suggesting is that the cost of him defending you even if you win would exceed the amount of the money the employee is asking for in severance. It is not that you are wrong or even deserve to pay it, but the economics of law dictates that you would spend more in attorney's fees than to the employee then it is best to settle the case. You can fight it if you choose and in that case tell your lawyer you rather see him get your money than the employee and chances are you would likely win, but only you can determine if the cost is worth it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

The fact is, is that I would much rather see my attorney get the $$, but at $7,500 that she is asking vs $1,500 in severance we offerred, it will not cover the expenses of the attorney. I am a principle driven individual and would pay twice that to win in court. But do not want to end up with a $50k attoney bill at the end of all this.

Is this all she could sue us for (hostle work environment)? As she could not sue based on wrongful termination as we let that entire department go to outsource our process, right?

In order to have a hostile work claim she must prove the conduct was based solely upon her age/race/sex/disability. The US Supreme Court has been very clear that the laws on workplace harassment/hostile work environment must be based on the age/race/sex/disability of the complainant and the laws were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace (See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore). She would also only have 180 days since the last act of alleged hostility to file such a claim. I can tell you that legal fees on these cases can be fairly steep when you figure your attorney likely is charging $250-$350 per hour for their time and it may take 15 hours or so to deal with a mere complaint to the EEOC even if they do not get a right to sue letter.