My neighbor is taking pictures of my friends coming and going…

Customer Question
My neighbor is taking pictures...
My neighbor is taking pictures of my friends coming and going in my driveway without their permission. I groom dogs as a hobby and town hall told my neighbor to take pictures. In order to get her off my back I requested a special use permit so I can groom my girlfriends dogs. I am waiting to see if they will grant my request July 6th. Is there any recourse I can take? Neighbors within 200 ft will be notified -- this nasty neighbor is one of them. Both our neighbors on either side had fences down the sides to the back. We just spent $3,000.00 to fence across the back and the sides from our house to our neighbors fence on both sides. The nasty neighbor would not let me fill a hole on the side as the fence is in 6 inches on their property. I called a sheriff when she verbally abused me and called me a nasty name. They were warned not to have any contact with us. Two days later they removed two boards in their privacy fence about 15 - 20 feet down their side. I have 3 small dogs that could get through the fence. They want us to put up another fence 6 inches in on our side of the property line which would look very funny but also very difficult to cut the 12 inches of grass that we would have to look at in between the fences. What can I do? We have tried to talk to them and they keep accusing us falsely and yelling and screaming at us. In the past we had a dog die -- no evidence but looks suspicious. Also, we had one of our spot lights shot out with a bb gun and then they complained about it when we replaced it. By the way we had not moved it in 8 years.

Regards,

Jan
Grand Island, NY
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thank you for your question.

Legally speaking there is not much that you can do. So long as he is taking pictures from his personal property, or from city property, he is not trespassing. In addition courts have ruled that parties walking in public have no reasonable expectation of privacy, meaning that third parties can take pictures of them without penalty or recourse.

I am sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/29/2010 at 9:58 PM EST
What if they walked on the sidewalk in front of our garage and took pictures into our garage -- which is what they did!!
So long as they were still on city property and did not actively enter your property limits, they are able to do so--it is still considered a situation where the courts would deem you to not have an expectation of privacy. I wish I had a different answer for you, but I do not see you prevail--you can however claim that if you have a protection order out against him, that by coming so close to your property, he may be in violation.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/29/2010 at 10:06 PM EST