Hello im going to try and keep this short. I was abused all…

Customer Question
Hello im going to try...
Hello im going to try and keep this short. I was abused all my life by my fater. At just turned 15 he almost killed me put me in the hospital for a few days, i was unrecognizeable. I am now 26 btw. Anyway my mom never left my dad, she allowed all this. He finally got sent to prison and i was sent to foster care. So at the hospital the police took pictures of me beaten and bloody in my lil nighty. The prosecuting attorney of that town (HANNIBAL,MO) used them photos to make a huge poster that he displayed in his main office w/ a caption about Child Abuse on the bottom. Anyway my friends started coming to school telling me that they saw my poster. I was so embarassed and hurt even worse. I had my mom get a lawyer since i was too young. She eventually abandoned me and took the first settlement offer they gave her. Anyway she got the money a few years back and gave me nothing! I still have flashbacks and other mental issues that i fight daily. Anyway i am trying to go back to college and get my degree in Environmental Law but am needing the money that i feel is rightfully mine. Do i have chance at getting any of my money back or suing her for all the abuse and abandoment? Thank You
carrie a. XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Unfortunately, Missouri and Kansas both have a two year statute of limitations on the actions that apply to you, with the exception of fraud and it has a 5 year statute of limitations in Missouri. I'm not sure if fraud applies in your case and you would need to speak to a Missouri lawyer and have them look at all of the materials to know for sure. Anything that happened prior to those years is not actionable any more. I wish I had better news.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Hello and thank you for your promt reply. I will be happy to release the value but was hoping to get a little advice as to how would it be fraud? I have suspected for quite sometime that our lawyer was working under the table with the prosecuting attorney of that town because it was so small and everybody knew everybody. Anyway I was supposed to recieve a formal apology from the prosecutor but never got anything. My mom never gave me any of the information regarding the status of the case or even the amount they settled for. I think she said 10,000.00 but i know she wouldnt tell me the whole truth. Basically what i am asking is there anyway that i can access all the records or paperwork regarding that case, there was also the poster that was supposed to be returned to me that i never saw.And please tell me under what circumstances would it be fraud? I just would like to know the truth about everything. Thank You

Unfortunately, it is extremely hard to tell how it would be fraud since it is so fact intensive. If she concealed the fact and lied to you about your money, or led you to believe it was there when it wasn't, or did something to keep you from finding out she had taken it then that would do it. If you file suit against her that would give you the right and a method to access all the info you want.

JustAnswer is great, but this is one of those cases where it is not the best forum for finding out how fraud might have occurred. I'd suggest sitting down with a lawyer and discussing it with them in depth and letting them ask a bunch of questions to explore any potential causes of action. look for one who does personal injury trial law since they will have the skills needed to look for a way to get you where you want to be.