Im a New York City resident that is employed in New Jersey.

Customer Question
I’m a New York City...
I’m a New York City resident that is employed in New Jersey. While working remotely from my home my personal computer system may have been accessed without authorization.

Personal information may have been accessed, including credit card number, social security numbers, personal income taxes, personal browsing habits. I suspect that my department director and managers are behind the intrusion. In addition my suspect that my browsing habits conducted from the privacy of my home were shared with others…is there a law that has been broken and can I sue for this?

The following Acts are part of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. How does the Stored Communications Act, along with the Wiretap Act play a role?

Can you recommend an attorney and a computer forensics specialist?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw
Why do you think the intrusion came from the employer? Why do you think personal information may have been accessed?
In April 2009, I was issued a remote access key, which would allow me to remote into my desktop computer in the office remotely from home via my personal laptop.

Here’s why I believe that the intrusion came from the employer and that personal information and my family’s browsing habits may have traveled back to my office and shared with my co-workers:

1. On days that I would return back to the office after working from home office co-workers were enthralled and so pleased with how much work I was able to accomplished from home. They would say to me, “You go Ivan…keep up the hard work” and then walk away laughing.
2. On several occasions during our lunch conversations, I found it extremely odd that our conversations were parodies of my personal online browsing.
3. On once occasion I overheard a co-worker state to another co-worker that the entire department was of the belief that I was engaged in improper behavior in my home, and stated “who could have ever believe that Ivan had secrets”.
4. I filed a complaint and raised serious allegations with the Human Resources Department. I was given the run around. Then I demanded written proof that a full investigation would be conducted. It took 4 months to get a written report. Then upon review of the investigation that was conducted, my remote access privileges were revoked. Next, the Company labeled me as being paranoid.
5. Next the department directors and department managers who generally have administrator rights to department employees’ desktop computers, they had either their computers suddenly upgraded, and hard drives were possibly replaced as an attempt hide or destroy evidence.

Other than the wiretap act the statutes you referenced related to government action. However, were your allegations proven they would have violated your right to privacy and the Wiretap act. You can locate attorneys who specialize in privacy issues on lawyers.com or findlaw.com where they list attorneys by specialty and geographic area. The attorneys will be able to help you locate computer forensic specialists. I suspect evidence of the intrusion will be on your personal computer which will be very important to establish your claims.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Okay...what is the legal timeframe (Statue of Limitations) that I have? I caught on to the bad behavior and possible crimes on April 2009.

Are the crimes serious enough that the culprits my be sentences to fines or jail time?

I would not waste time on criminal charges as my experience is that the police will consider it civil not criminal but you can try. There is a two year statute of limitations so you have time.