Michael J., Esq.
Michael J., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney; represented hundreds of clients in my private practice.
18210975

My mother took me to court several years ago and won custody

Customer Question

My mother took me to court several years ago and won custody over my 2 children. Long story short..the children have resided with me for the last 6 years. I want to fix the paperwork to show on paper that I have custody of the children. Will this be complicated to achieve?
Expert:  Michael J., Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

No, this should not be complicated. You need to file a joint petition to modify the order and include your mother on it. Once you show the court that the children have resided with you for the past 6 years and you have the means to support them, the court should issue the new order.

Good luck,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how much would something like this generally cost?.

It really depends on your state and what lawyer you choose. I could see this costing anywhere from $500 on the low end to maybe $2000 on the high end, depending on the lawyer's skill and how quickly they think they can get it done. Time is money.

Good luck,

Regards,

Michael